bacteriology and PCR team leader
Salary up to £31,000.00 pa
(Dependent on experience and qualifications)
Permanent position 35 Hour Week & Weekend Working Rota
The Animal Health Trust is a leading charity dedicated to the improvement of animal health and welfare through veterinary research, together with high quality clinical services and a commitment to education. The Trust comprises of the Centre for Small Animal Studies (CSAS), Centre for Equine Studies and Centre for Preventive Medicine.
We are currently seeking an experienced Team Leader to lead the Bacteriology and PCR areas within our Diagnostic Laboratory Services (DLS). DLS is a commercial service offering high quality diagnostic testing to the veterinary industry.
- Lead the day to day running of the Bacteriology and PCR service.
- Take responsibility and accountability for the laboratory output.
- Participate in the day to day running of the bacteriology service and PCR assays including the culture and identification of veterinary pathogens, end-point PCR and quantitative PCR.
- Participate in the weekend and on-call rota, (overtime payments apply).
- Take the scientific and technical lead for the service, applying your knowledge and skills to refine and improve current assays, troubleshoot as necessary.
- Work with research groups to help develop new tests.
- Manage the team, mentoring, training and developing the growth within DLS.
Skills and Competencies:
- Hold a relevant degree in Biology/Sciences & have at least 5 years relevant experience
- Have experience of working within a Quality management System.
- Be self-motivated, organised and be able to identify personal development needs to ensure your knowledge and skills remain current
- Be comfortable working as part of a team and to use common sense/initiative when working alone
- Be reliable with a hardworking ethos, with strong communication and excellent customer service skills.
- Possess excellent organisational skills, with the ability to work well under pressure and within a regulated time frame.
- Experience of veterinary diagnostics would be desirable
We offer our staff an employer contribution pension scheme, health care plan, death in service, free parking, staff discounts and basic 25 days holiday per annum.
For further information please contact Liz Medcalf, Head of Diagnostic Microbiology, on 01638 552993 or email email@example.com.
To view the job description, please see this link
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your CV and covering letter, stating why you are interested in this role and your salary expectations. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Human Resources Department, Animal Health Trust, Lanwades Park, Kentford, Newmarket CB8 7UU.
Closing Date: Tuesday 4 April 2017 Interviews: Thursday 20 April 2017