Histology team leader
Salary up to £31,000 pa
(dependant on experience and qualifications)
Permanent position 35 hours per week
The Animal Health Trust is a leading charity dedicated to the improvement of animal health and welfare through veterinary research, together with high quality clinical services and a commitment to education. The Trust comprises of the Centre for Small Animal Studies (CSAS), Centre for Equine Studies and Centre for Preventive Medicine.
We are currently seeking an experienced full time Histology Team Leader to join the Histology area within our Diagnostic Laboratory Services (DLS). DLS is a commercial service offering high quality diagnostic testing to the veterinary industry.
- Lead the day to day running of the Histology and Immunohistochemistry diagnostic department.
- Take responsibility and accountability for the laboratory output.
- Line Manage your team of technicians within the Histology and Post Mortem areas.
- Monitor the performance of, and help develop diagnostic tests.
- Participate in the weekend on-call rota (Histology and Post-mortem), including post mortem coverage during the week (overtime payments apply).
- Use your knowledge and experience to contribute in service improvement and development.
- Support internal and external colleagues with on-going research projects.
- Identify and address your own learning needs as well as those of your team.
Skills and Competencies:
- Hold a relevant BSc or equivalent, with appropriate experience within a Diagnostic Histology laboratory.
- Have skills and experience of; tissue trimming, embedding, microtomy, frozen sections, special staining techniques and immunohistochemistry in a diagnostic laboratory setting.
- Have experience of working within a Quality Management System.
- Be self-motivated, well organised and capable or working independently.
- Be reliable with a hardworking ethos, with strong communication and excellent customer service skills.
- Possess excellent organisational skills and the ability to work well under pressure within a regulated time frame.
We offer our staff a generous employer contribution pension scheme, health care plan, death in service, free parking, staff discounts and basic 25 days holiday per annum.
To view the job description, please see this link
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your CV and covering letter, stating why you are interested in this role and your salary expectations. Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Human Resources Department, Animal Health Trust, Lanwades Park, Kentford, Newmarket CB8 7UU.
Closing date: 9am 24 March 2017
Interview dates: 6 and 7 April 2017