How can I help?
Everyone can help – even if your horse or pony has never had laminitis – by following the 4 easy steps below:
- Register and sign up one or more of your horses/ponies today!
- Spread the word and recruit your friends and family – put up posters at your yard or local tack and feed shops and tell people on Facebook and Twitter
- Update your horse/pony’s information regularly using our questionnaire to help us track changes in their management, health, weight & condition over time
- Let us know if your horse develops an active episode of laminitis by submitting a Laminitis Reporting Form
The success of this project depends on gathering data from over 3000 British horses and ponies. Therefore we need to reach and recruit as many owners nationwide as possible and keep them enrolled for up to two years.
Although this is a study about laminitis, it is vital that information is collected from both those animals who previously have had laminitis and those that have not. Not only will this give us an estimate of the frequency of laminitis in the British equine population (the proportion of horses and ponies that have laminitis vs. those that don't) it will also reveal how many new cases of laminitis occur during the study period. Additionally, following both non-laminitic and laminitic animals will allow us to notice if these groups are exposed to different factors which may result in the disease developing, or not developing.
We need your help to make this happen!
Want to help raise awareness about the study? Click here to download and print a poster for your yard, business or vet practice or send it to your friends and family.
What does the study entail?
You will be asked to complete a two-step registration process which will enrol you and your animal(s) in the study. The registration process consisting of:
1. Completing your address and contact details, where your horse/pony is kept, veterinary practice and hoof-care practitioner details.
2. Completing the online baseline questionnaire. Submitting the baseline questionnaire will complete your registration and you will be sent a CARE welcome pack in the post.
You will be asked to return on a regular basis (every 1-3 months), as part of the follow-up, and edit any information that has changed since your last submission. Please log in to review your previous answers and edit them as appropriate.
You will be supplied with a tape measure, pen, measuring instructions and recording sheet. You will use them to record some simple measurements of your enrolled animal(s). We will be creating your very own online weight tracker where you can submit your measurements, also providing you with a visible representation of your animal's estimated weight over time!
Finally, in the unfortunate event that your horse/pony does develop laminitis at any time throughout the study, we will ask you to complete and submit an online Owner Laminitis Reporting Form (OLRF) shortly after laminitis is suspected/confirmed. We encourage you to keep a copy of it at your yard. We would like to hear from you in this case, even if the laminitis was not attended by a vet.
What happens at the end?
All information that you submit to the study will be used for research purposes only, in an anonymised format, and you will be able to leave/join the study at any point in time. As we collect information during the study, the data will be collated and analysed. Study members will be kept updated throughout the study as to new progress and preliminary results. At the end of the study period, the results and findings will be documented in a report and will be made publicly available.