Diagnostic Laboratory Services-
Instructions for Buccal Mucosal Bleeding Time
Surgicutt ‘Adult’ device is a sterile, disposable device for standardised bleeding time determinations.Summary and explanation of the test
The bleeding time test is considered one of the best methods for screening platelet function. It is defined as the time period measured between an initial small incision and the moment the subsequent bleeding stops. Prolongation of the bleeding time occurs in patients with thrombocytopaenia, von Willebrand’s disease, and other platelet disorders.
When triggered the blade of a Surgicutt device is designed to provide an incision 5mm long and 1mm deep. Simultaneously, a timer is started and the blood from the incision is blotted at 30 second intervals. The time required for the bleeding to cease is estimated to the nearest half minute.Additional materials required
Filter paper disc or equivalent.Animal preparation
This procedure is usually performed on an anaesthetised or heavily sedated animal. The lips should be tied back with gauze to expose an area suitable for testing.Test procedure
- Remove the Surgicutt device from the blister pack and twist off the white, tear away tab on the side of the device. Do not push the trigger or touch the blade slot.
- Place the device firmly on the inside of the lip. Do not press. Incisions must be made consistently.
- Depress the trigger and simultaneously start the timer. Remove the device approximately one second after triggering.
- At 30 seconds, blot the flow of blood with filter paper. Bring the filter paper close to the incision without touching the edge of the wound. (Do not disturb the platelet plug). Blot in a similar manner every 30 seconds until blood no longer stains the filter paper. Stop timer.
- Remove tie from lip. Record the bleeding time to the nearest 30 seconds. Return the device to the opened blister pack; avoid touching the blade area and discard.
If thrombocytopaenia (less than 75,000/mm3 platelets) is present, the bleeding time may be prolonged.Expected range
< 4 minutes.