EQUINE FLU TESTING OFFERS!
During summertime there is considerable horse movement, providing an ideal environment to facilitate the spread of infectious pathogens like equine flu.
At the AHT, we offer EIV qPCR tests and Haemagglutination Inhibition tests (HI) – view our price list.
Receive 20% discount on prices if submitting 10 or more samples to the AHT DLS, for the same test at the same time.
Interested in free EIV testing?
For suspected cases, funding from the Horserace Betting Levy Board (HBLB) makes possible FREE EIV testing. Contact email@example.com or visit the website at www.equiflunet.org.uk where you can complete a registration form online and receive a sampling pack and submission form.
The virology team at the Animal Health Trust (AHT) works within our Centre for Preventative Medicine.
Providing virology diagnostics to veterinary surgeons and research institutes, we use a combination of modern and classic techniques to identify and isolate viruses:
- qPCR – Translating our research into the genomes of several viruses into diagnostics tests. Our qPCR tests allow us to rapidly and sensitively detect DNA and RNA from the pathogen in clinical samples
- Virus isolation – our laboratory houses a negative-pressure virus isolation laboratory. This allows us to grow viruses in tissue culture with the added reassurance that nothing leaves the laboratory without passing through a HEPA filter; we take biosecurity very seriously. Using a range of different cell lines we are able to isolate and identify a range of viruses.
But your samples journey doesn’t need to end there; within our state-of-the-art laboratory complex the virology labs sit surrounded by our world leading research groups. When we detect the presence of a virus we try to isolate it. Once we have isolated the virus, it is passed to our researchers who characterise it. This lets us make decisions/recommendations across several areas:
- Virus pathogenicity and mechanisms of disease
- Disease epidemiology and virus evolution
- Test & Vaccine Quality Assurance: Are the vaccines and tests fit for purpose?
We regularly review the technology and science behind out tests to ensure they remain fit for purpose; it is also part of our ISO17025 Accreditation.
It is important to us that we make the right tests available to our clients, to give you confidence in using our results to inform your practice.
This synergy between diagnostics and research has lead us to become the OIE Reference Laboratories for Equine Herpesvirus and Equine Influenza.
|The Animal Health Trust (AHT) is extremely grateful to the Horserace Betting Levy Board (HBLB), Racehorse Owners Association (ROA) and Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association (TBA) for their continued combined contribution to the AHT’s Equine Infectious Disease Service, which in particular supports key staff within the Diagnostic Laboratory and Pathology Service and allows enhanced investigation and control of significant equine infectious diseases in the United Kingdom.