Animal Health Trust, Lanwades Park, Kentford, Newmarket, Suffolk CB8 7UU
After completing a BSc in Equine Science at Warwickshire College, Carolyne joined the AHT in 2005. Previous work has concentrated on the MRI appearance and the effect of exercise on the osteochondral unit of the distal tarsal joints and MR features associated with third metacarpal bone lateral condylar fractures in racehorses. Recent research, working with a team at the Swedish University of Agricultural Science in Uppsala, has focused on evaluating the effects of arena surfaces and training intensity on the orthopaedic health of riding horses. Carolyne has published and presented her findings at National and International conferences.
1. Investigations into sport horse injury:
• Relationship with specific sports
• Risk factors
• Prevention of sport-associated injury
• Management strategies for sport-associated injury
2. Investigations into optimising performance in sport horses.
3. Investigations into the mechanical properties of arena surfaces.
4. Application of advanced diagnostic imaging to improve understanding of orthopaedic injury diagnosis and pathogenesis.
The Animal Health Trust is a veterinary charity, based in Suffolk, which offers clinical referral services and diagnostic testing for horses, dogs and cats in East Anglia, across the UK and internationally. Through its research programmes it develops new diagnostic tests, treatments and vaccines to help thousands of animals.