EMERGENCY SURGERY AT AHT SAVED LIFE OF BULL TERRIER WHO SWALLOWED BONE
A team of vets from our Small Animal Centre saved the life of Larry, a Bull Terrier, after a two-inch chunk of marrow bone became wedged in his throat.
Larry was referred to us by his local vet after his owner, Simon Bradford, noticed something Larry wasn’t his usual self. Simon treats his dogs with the occasional bone, but guessed that Larry’s change in behaviour might have something to do with the treat after noticing that an old bone in the garden that had become very brittle in the sun was missing.
Larry was booked into an emergency appointment with his vet, who tried to remove the lodged bone with forceps while he was under sedation. However, after several unsuccessful attempts at dislodging the chunk, the decision was made to transfer him to our clinic for further treatment.
Our anaesthesia and internal medicine teams worked together in an attempt to remove the bone using an endoscope: “Sadly, in Larry's case the knuckle had stuck in his oesophagus and could not be removed with endoscopy,” explains Daniela Murgia, our Head of Surgery. “This is the technique we’d usually use in these cases. However, due to the severity of Larry’s situation, instead he had to undergo emergency thoracotomy and reconstruction of the oesophageal wall.”
Larry was about four hours in surgery, followed by a further two weeks in our wards recovering from his operation before he was well enough to return home.