The serology team at the Animal Health Trust (AHT) works within our Centre for Preventative Medicine.
Providing serology diagnostics to veterinary surgeons and research institutes, we use a combination of modern and classic techniques to identify exposure to a range of veterinary pathogens:
- ELISA – Many of our tests make use of the Enzyme Linked Immunosorbant Assay. We take great pride in translating the world-class research at the AHT into robust, high quality diagnostic tests to help inform clinical management and to have a tangible effect on animal welfare
- CF – We employ the Complement Fixation test to provide serological testing for Equine Herpesvirus and Equine Rhinitis
- HI – We employ Haemagglutination Inhibition assays to screen for Equine Influenza and Adenovirus antibodies
- VN – Through preserving classical methodologies and having the ability to do mammalian tissue culture, we are able to offer Virus Neutralisation assays for Equine Herpesvirus 3 and Equine Viral Arteritis.
But your samples journey doesn’t need to end there; within our state-of-the-art laboratory complex the serology labs sit surrounded by our world leading research groups.
Working with epidemiologists we can help you control and clear outbreaks of infectious diseases. If we isolate the pathogen we can also pass the strain to our researchers who characterise it. This lets us make decisions/recommendations across several areas:
- Pathogenicity and mechanisms of disease
- Disease epidemiology and virus evolution
- Test & Vaccine Quality Assurance; Are the vaccines and tests fit for purpose?
We regularly review the technology and science behind out tests to ensure they remain fit for purpose; it is also part of our ISO17025 Accreditation.
It is important to us that we make the right tests available to our clients, to give you confidence in using our results to inform your practice.
This synergy between diagnostics and research has lead us to become the OIE Reference Laboratories for Equine Herpesvirus and Equine Influenza.
The AHT Diagnostic service also offer a comprehensive range of pre-breeding testing to cover your clients every need. Ensure best practice by confirming which tests you need here.
|The Animal Health Trust (AHT) is extremely grateful to the Horserace Betting Levy Board (HBLB), Racehorse Owners Association (ROA) and Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association (TBA) for their continued combined contribution to the AHT’s Equine Infectious Disease Service, which in particular supports key staff within the Diagnostic Laboratory and Pathology Service and allows enhanced investigation and control of significant equine infectious diseases in the United Kingdom.