Our Unit of Comparative Ophthalmology was established in 1975 and is one of the largest ophthalmology units in Europe.
We are passionate about improving the quality of lives of animals with ocular disease, and treat more than a thousand ocular cases every year.
We accept referrals of any species with an eye problem. We are also committed to providing state of the art education and training for referring vets in ophthalmology for those that share our passion for eyes.
What we offer:
- Full investigations of ocular disease with on-site laboratory facilities, pathology and diagnostic imaging
- Microsurgical operating with a state of the art operating microscope (magnification up to x 45) and surgical instruments
- Complicated entropion surgery including face lift procedures
- Lacrimal surgery such as parotid duct transpositions and nasolacrimal duct obstructions
- Cataract surgery on small animals, horses and exotics
- Cryotherapy for distichiasis, periocular tumours and glaucoma
- Electrolysis for distichiasis
- Strontium plesiotherapy for adnexal and periocular tumours in small animals, horses and exotics
- Laser retinal surgery (for partial retinal detachments or retinal tears)
- Laser glaucoma surgery (including endoscopic laser)
- Vitrectomy on both small animals and horses
- Investigation of genetic ocular disease
Meet our Head of Ophthalmology
Lorraine leads our Ophthalmology team, which includes:
Hannah Joyce PgCertSAOphthal, MVB, MRCVS